• Inside the bath or shower. Any fittings used here must be SELV (maximum 12 volt) and have a minimum rating of IPX7
• Above the bath or shower to a height of 2.25m, a minimum rating of IPX4 is required.
• The area stretching to 0.6m outside the bath or shower and above the bath of shower, an IP rating of at least IPX4 is required.
• Anywhere outside of this, where water jets are not to be used for cleaning purposes, the general rules of BS7671 apply.
• Our recommendation is to use the IP65 downlights in the bathroom area to avoid steam from your shower or bath from penetrating the light fittings.
|First number (Protection against solid objects)
||Second number (Protection against liquids)
||Protected against solids objects over 50mm (e.g. accidental touch by hands
||Protected against vertically falling drops of water|
||Protected against solids objects over 12mm (e.g. fingers)
||Protected against direct sprays up to 15° from the vertical|
||Protected against solids objects over 2.5mm (e.g. tools and wires)
||Protected against direct sprays up to 60° from the vertical|
||Protected against solids objects over 1mm (e.g. tools, wires and small wires
||Protected against sprays from all directions - limited ingress permitted|
||Protected against dust - limited ingress (no harmful deposit)
||Protected against low pressure jets if water from all directions - limited ingress permitted|
||Totally protected against dust
||Protected against strong jets of water e.g. for use on shipdecks - limited ingress permitted|
||Protected against the effects of temporary immersion between 15cm and 1m. Duration of test 30 minutes|
||Protected against long periods of immersion under pressure|